Back l/r: Alfred Sheppard and his wife Virginia de Freitas,
with her father Sebastian (Sebastião) de Freitas.
Seated: l/r Alfred and Virginia's daughter Amalia Sheppard
with Audrey Gomez.
Sebastian (Sebastião) de Freitas arrived in Trinidad with his family in 1846 and was a member of St. Anns/Greyfriars Church of Scotland. From the story on their website:
"Greyfriars Church of Scotland had its beginnings in 1834, when Greyfriars Church of Glasgow sent a missionary to minister to the Scots, the most numerous of the British residents of Trinidad, as well as to the newly freed slaves. Alexander Kennedy, a young minister from Ayrshire, arrived on the island in January 1836, having been ordained only four months earlier.
A week later, Rev. Kennedy preached his first sermon at a service held at the Wesleyan Chapel. He later used the Old Theatre on Cambridge Street (now St. Vincent Street) until he chose and purchased the site on Frederick Street, whose foundation stone was laid in April, 1837. Greyfriars Church building was completed in 1838.
Rev. Kennedy became deeply involved in the anti-slavery movement, established five mission stations in Trinidad, instituted the British and Foreign Bible Society, founded a Friendly Society, ran a school at the manse, and greatly assisted a group of Portuguese-speaking Presbyterian pilgrims who arrived from Madeira in 1846 fleeing religious persecution.
In May 1854, the Portuguese exiles built and dedicated the original St. Ann’s Church."
Our ancestor Sebastian (Sebastião) de Freitas was one of these Portuguese benefactors.
Here is Trinidadian historian Angelo Bissessarsingh's article in the Trinidad Guardian newspaper about the Portuguese Presbyterian's St. Ann's Greyfriars Church of Scotland. Several generations of our Trinidad family belonged to this church, as evidenced by the records.